The Nepean Blue Devils Basketball Association offers a competitive basketball program for boys and girls ages 9-18. A high level of commitment is expected from parents and players selected for competitive teams. Players are expected to attend all practices, games and tournaments. Players who are not able to make this commitment are encouraged to play in the Recreational Program.
- All competitive coaches have a wealth of experience and are NCCP certified (Level 1 for Atom, and Level 2 for Bantam, Midget and Junior).
- NBBA coaches also participate in a number of coaching clinics throughout the year and are supported by the Club Technical Director.
- Competitive teams participate in the Eastern Ontario Basketball Association (EOBA) League, as well as local and out-of-town tournaments throughout the season.
- The cost of the Competitive Program is $685.00 (+ a $25 non-refundable tryout fee for all levels). The registration fee covers:
- All EOBA and Ontario Basketball Association (OBA) registration fees for teams, coaches and players.
- Referee fees for 10 EOBA League games and the EOBA Championship tournament at the end of the season (up to a maximum of $300).
- $300 of the registration fee is designated for team fees, to cover the cost of three tournaments and the OBA Championships.
- Teams must cover all other expenses through the collection of additional team fees.
- Families can expect to incur additional costs when participating in out-of-town tournaments (ie. hotel and food).
The NBBA intends to field the following competitive teams for the 2016-17 basketball season:
|Novice Girls (U10)||Eric Johannsen|
|Minor Atom Girls (U11)||Karsten Gitter|
|Major Atom Girls (U12)||Brenda Highmore|
|Minor Bantam Girls (U13)||Peter Nikic|
|Major Bantam Girls (U14)||Francis John|
|Minor Midget Girls (U15)||Jim Tebrake|
|Major Midget Girls (U16)||David Young|
|Junior Girls (U17)||Mario Gaetano|
|Junior Girls (U19)||Eric Johannsen|
|Novice Boys (U10)||TBD|
|Minor Atom Boys (U11)||Dan Swanson|
|Major Atom Boys (U12)||Mike Kennedy|
|Minor Bantam Boys (U13)||Brian Burns|
|Major Bantam Boys (U14)||Doug Elliott|
|Minor Midget Boys (U15)||Corey Munro|
|Major Midget Boys (U16)||Trey Graham|
|Junior Boys (U17)||Kris Bowles|
Team selections are held in early September (see schedule) and the season begins mid-October and runs through to May. If we have sufficient player numbers at each age group, we will continue with the approach introduced last year of having a minor and major team for each division. Each age category will have tryout dates specific to their age only (eg. Minor tryout dates will not include Major players and Major tryout dates will not include Minor players).
- The selection process is based on a number of factors, including shooting skills, dribbling and ball handling, rebounding, endurance, attitude, coach-ability, intensity, etc.
- Based on the evaluation of the above criteria, the Head Coach will select their 10 to 12 players.
- The selection process can commence after the first, second, or third tryout dates and is usually based on the number of players trying out.
- Should a player not be selected for a competitive team, they will be released to the Recreational Program (if they have registered to secure their spot) and attend the sort-outs or, if they wish, they can try out for a Local Competitive team (offered at the Bantam and Midget levels only).
- Financial assistance for registration fees is available through charitable organizations, such as Jumpstart and KidSport™.
- Families are required to apply for assistance from one of these funding sources before, or immediately after, registering for a NBBA Program.
Questions about the Competitive Program can be emailed to Kelly Milne, VP Competitive.