The Nepean Blue Devils Basketball Association offers a separate boys and girls Novice Development Program (NDP). The NDP introduces boys and girls ages 6-9 to the game of basketball, with an emphasis on skill development (footwork, shooting, ball handling, dribbling, passing/receiving, movement, agility), team play, and creating a fun environment. The NDP Program is divided up into three groups:
- Novice Beginner - generally for ages 6-7 (children born in 2010 and 2011);
- Novice Intermediate - generally for ages 8-9 (children born in 2008 and 2009);
- Novice Competitive - generally for ages 8-9 (children born in 2008 and 2009 who are interested in playing competitive basketball at the Atom level).
Each week the Novice Beginner and Intermediate groups will work with their instructor in developing a number of skills which will serve as a foundation in their development as a basketball player. The skill development will be taught in the context of a number of drills, individual work and fun games the players will participate in during each session, using 8-foot rims.
In addition, for the Novice Intermediate group, the players will participate in 3 on 3 games every Saturday, where they will start to learn to put the skills they are acquiring in the context of a game.
Novice Beginner and Intermediate programs are limited to 30 players per group, if demand is higher, attempts will be made to schedule additional groups (coaches and gym time permitting).
The Novice Beginner and Intermediate programs are ran out of Farley Mowat Public School (75 Waterbridge Drive) and are scheduled to begin on Saturday, September 30, 2017.
|Novice Beginner Boys||Saturday mornings from 9:00 am to 10:15 am|
|Novice Intermediate Boys||Saturday mornings from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm|
|Novice Beginner Girls||Saturday afternoons from 12:00 pm to 1:15 pm|
|Novice Intermediate Girls||Saturday afternoons from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm|
The Novice Competitive Program is geared towards players who are interested in playing competitive basketball at the Atom level, and usually have played at least one year of Novice Development basketball or are above-average athletes.
- Each week the Novice Competitive group will work with their coaches in developing their basketball skills which will serve as a foundation in their development as a basketball player and an understanding of the game.
- The skill development will be taught in the context of a number of drills, individual work and games the players will participate in during each session, using regular (10-foot) rims.
- The players will have 3 to 4 hours of practice sessions each week.
- The team will participate in the boys or girls Atom House League and have games scheduled about every other Saturday.
- The cost of the Novice Competitive Program is $385 (+ a $15 non-refundable tryout fee) The registration fee covers:10 EOBA League games (U10 Novice), as well as the EOBA Championship tournament at the end of the year.
Participating in the Novice Competitive Program requires a high level of commitment from both the parents and players. Players (ages 8 and 9) who are not able to make this commitment are welcome in the Novice Intermediate Program or in the Atom Development Program (if the Novice Intermediate Program is full).
The Novice Competitive program for both girls and boys will start the week of October 2, 2017. Details will be emailed to all Novice registrants once confirmed.
- Tryouts will be held the first week of October at regular practice times and locations to assess registrants for commitment, interest, maturity, basketball skills and athletic ability.
- There is a $15 non-refundable tryout fee.
- Coaches can select up to 15 players, and will refer any remaining players to the other programs.
Novice Competitive Girls Practices
Tuesday evenings from 6:15 pm to 7:45 pm at Monsignor Paul Baxter Elementary School
Friday evenings from 6:15 pm to 7:45 pm at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School
Novice Competitive Boys Practices
Monday evenings at St. Andrew Catholic School from 6:15 pm to 7:45 pm
Thursday evenings at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School from 6:15 pm -7:45 pm