The West End Basketball League (WEBL) is comprised of a number of member basketball associations located primarily in the west-end of Ottawa with the purpose of providing a safe and fun environment for recreational basketball teams and players to compete each season.
All games will be played in accordance with rules established by Basketball Ontario and set forth in the Ontario Basketbal Coaches’ Manual for Midget to Junior, U15 to U19 beginning on page 40 with the following changes:
- No shot clock shall be used for WEBL games
- All teams shall have a minimum of 5 players to start the game.
- All games will be free substitution during any stoppage in play.
- Equal participation is mandatory for all players throughout the game.
- Teams will fall back to half-court defence when a team is winning by 15 points.
Note that the above are changes to the Basketball Ontario established rules only. For complete rules, please review the Coach Manual.
First and foremost, I want to remind coaches to maintain a respectful environment and ensure that there is no abuse of players, coaches and especially officials. I will ask you to remind your players and parents to follow Basketball Ontario Fair Play policies.
- Maintain a respectful environment and ensure that there is no abuse of players, coaches and especially officials. I will ask you to remind your players and parents to follow Basketball Ontario Fair Play policies.
- Respect the facilities. We must observe the following, and remind our players and parents to do the same:
- No outdoor footwear in the gym
- Keep the facility clean, take your garbage with you, make sure no mess is left behind
- The hallways are not included on the permit, therefore siblings should not be in the hallways playing, there is no dribbling in the hallways, and noise levels must kept down. We are not necessarily the only ones using the school
- The home team will be responsible for providing the score book. If you require a score book, please let me know and I will help you get one.
- Equal participation is mandatory for the whole game. If you want to have your more skilled players on the court at the end of the game, manage your line changes to ensure they are available at that time.
- Since we have time available on the permits, we will play one 4 minute overtime in the event of a tie. If the game remains tied, no additional overtime sessions will be played.
- All other WEBL policies will be in effect per the WEBL Operations Guide.
- The score sheets are in triplicate, so please ensure each coach has one at the end of the game, and I will collect the originals periodically. The winning team will be responsible for e-mailing me the results of the game so that I can update the results and standings accordingly.
While we all have a competitive spirit, it is important to remember that this is a recreational program.